If you're tired of struggling to level your vehicle or equipment, motorhome levelling ramps might be the solution you've been searching for. These ramps, designed for precise adjustment, allow you to effortlessly achieve the desired level, providing stability and control.
In this article, we'll delve into the definition, benefits, types, and selection process of levelling ramps. We'll also share tips on effective usage and proper maintenance.
Take charge of your levelling needs with the help of levelling ramps.
- Levelling ramps provide control and precision in levelling uneven surfaces.
- They offer improved stability for vehicles and trailers.
- Levelling ramps are available in portable and fixed options.
- When choosing levelling ramps, consider the vehicle's weight capacity, height requirements, and the longevity and stability of the ramps.
Definition of levelling ramps
Levelling ramps are a type of portable equipment that you can use to easily level surfaces, such as driveways or campsite areas. These ramps are specifically designed to provide control and precision in levelling uneven surfaces, ensuring stability and safety.
The uses of levelling ramps are varied and versatile. They can be used to level driveways, making it easier to park vehicles without the risk of damage or accidents.
Motorhome levelling ramps are also commonly used in campsite areas, where they help create a stable and even surface, suitable for setting up tents or parking RVs.
When it comes to the construction of levelling ramps, common materials used include durable plastic, sturdy metal, or a combination of both. These materials are chosen for their strength, stability, and resistance to weather conditions.
Additionally, levelling ramps often feature non-slip surfaces or grip patterns, enhancing control and preventing slippage.
Benefits of using levelling ramps
Using levelling ramps offers several benefits for both homeowners and campers. Here are the advantages of using levelling ramps:
- Improved stability: Levelling ramps provide a stable and even surface for your vehicle or trailer, ensuring that it remains level and reduces the risk of it tipping over or shifting during use.
- Enhanced safety: Levelling ramps come equipped with safety features such as non-slip surfaces and built-in chocks to prevent accidental movement and provide a secure footing for you and your vehicle.
- Convenient levelling solution: Levelling ramps are easy to use and offer a quick and efficient way to level your vehicle or trailer. With adjustable height settings, you can customise the level of elevation to suit your needs.
Different types of levelling ramps
There are various types of campervan levelling gear and ramps available for you to choose from. When it comes to levelling your vehicle, you have the option of using either portable ramps or fixed ramps.
Portable ramps are designed to be lightweight and easy to carry and transport, making them ideal for those who are constantly on the move. These ramps can be easily set up on one side and adjusted to suit your desired height.
On the other hand, fixed ramps are a more permanent solution. They're typically made of durable materials such as steel or concrete and are designed to provide a stable and secure platform for levelling your vehicle.
Fixed ramps are commonly found in commercial settings, such as garages or car parks, where vehicles need to be levelled on a regular basis.
Whether you choose portable ramps or fixed ramps, both options offer effective solutions for ensuring a level surface for your vehicle.
Why does my motorhome need to be level?
When you park up for the night, you might think your pitch looks pretty flat. Even once you realise that you’re on a slight incline, you might think you can cope: after all, you’re not spherical.
But try cooking on a sloping stove: your pans could slide off, spilling boiling water or hot oil. Try opening your fridge for a cold glass of milk: you might well find it’s stopped working.
And have a go at draining your pasta water down your sink: it will pool on one side, refusing to go down the plughole.
Worse, your water pump may lose suction. And when you finally crawl into bed after an exhaustingly askew evening, you’ll find you’re sliding off the mattress or wedging your partner against the side of your vehicle.
The next morning, when you’re ready to drive off in search of a flatter pitch, you might discover that your motorhome wheels have sunk into the soft mud and you’re trapped!
All in all, a lop-sided pitch is not only extremely irritating, but also potentially dangerous to you and damaging to your vehicle.
While motorhome cover can cover your vehicle for the effects of sliding pans and sinking tyres, it’s wise to avoid the problem in the first place by getting your vehicle on the level.
What are levelling ramps and blocks?
The answer to your pitching problems is a set of levelling ramps. These are simple yet tough plastic or aluminium pieces of kits which go underneath your motorhome wheels to keep it perfectly centred and steady, no matter how bumpy, sloping or soft the ground is.
You can buy ramps that go up to about 20cm high. Many are not smooth ramps, but offer two, three or even four different height steps: for example, at 4, 7 and 10cm. These steps cradle the motorhome tyres, keeping your vehicle extra steady.
Ramps should also have a good tread to grip your tyres, and many motorhome owners find that wider ones are easier to use. Popular brands include Fiamma and Milenco.
How to choose the right levelling ramps for your needs
To choose the right campervan levelling ramps for your needs, consider the weight capacity and height requirements of your vehicle. Levelling ramps come in various sizes and styles, each catering to specific vehicles and situations.
Here are three key factors to consider when choosing levelling ramps:
- Weight capacity: Determine the maximum weight your levelling ramps need to support. It's crucial to choose ramps that can handle the weight of your vehicle to ensure stability and safety during use.
- Height requirements: Measure the ground clearance of your vehicle to determine the height of the ramps you need. Levelling ramps are available in different heights, allowing you to find the right fit for your specific vehicle.
- Material and durability: Consider the material composition of the ramps. Look for ramps made of high-quality, durable materials such as heavy-duty plastic or metal. These ramps offer better stability and longevity.
Tips for using levelling ramps effectively
Now that you have chosen the right levelling ramps for your needs based on weight capacity, height requirements, and material durability, let's explore some tips to effectively use these ramps.
When using levelling ramps on uneven ground, it is important to follow certain guidelines to ensure a safe and stable experience. Here are some tips to help you achieve optimal results:
Tips for using levelling ramps effectively: Common mistakes to avoid
- Place the ramps on a very flat surface and stable surface.
- Using ramps on soft or unstable ground.
- Align the ramps parallel to the direction of travel.
- Placing the ramps at an angle, leading to uneven weight distribution.
- Slowly drive or back your vehicle onto the ramps.
- Rushing or speeding up while using the ramps.
- Secure the ramps in place using a wheel chock.
- Neglecting to secure the ramps, causing them to shift or move.
Maintenance and storage of levelling ramps
To ensure and enhance the long-term durability of your levelling ramps, proper maintenance is essential. Regularly inspect the front motorhome levelling ramps for any signs of damage or wear, such as cracks or loose parts, and address them promptly.
When it comes to storing the ramps, make sure to clean them thoroughly and store and protect them in a dry and secure location to prevent any potential damage or corrosion.
Proper ramp maintenance
When maintaining and storing levelling ramps, it's important to regularly inspect them for any signs of damage or wear. Proper maintenance ensures ramp safety and prolongs the lifespan of the ramps.
Here are three essential steps to maintain and store your motorhome levelling ramps:
- Cleaning: After each use, clean the ramps thoroughly to remove any dirt, debris, or chemicals that could cause damage. Use a mild soap and water solution
- Inspection: Regularly inspect your ramps for any signs of wear and tear, such as cracks, dents, or loose components. Address any issues immediately to prevent further damage and ensure safe usage.
- Proper storage: When not in use, store your ramps in a dry and well-ventilated area. Avoid exposing them to extreme temperatures or direct sunlight, as these can degrade the materials over time. Check out our creative ways to maximise storage space in your motorhome for your other possessions.
Are levelling ramps only used for motorhomes and campers, or can they be used for other purposes?
Levelling ramps are not only for RVs and campers; they have alternative uses. They can be utilised for various purposes, such as levelling surfaces for trailers or stabilising equipment.
Using levelling ramps brings several benefits for non-RV purposes, including enhanced safety and stability.
Can levelling ramps be used on uneven terrain?
When using levelling ramps for trailers on uneven terrain, you gain the advantage of stabilising your RV on unstable surfaces. These ramps provide the control you need to ensure a level and secure setup on site.
Are levelling ramps durable and long-lasting?
Levelling ramps are designed for durability and have a long lifespan. They are constructed with sturdy materials to withstand heavy loads and frequent use.
With proper maintenance, you can expect them to last for years.
Do levelling ramps come with any safety features?
Levelling ramps offer a range of safety features to ensure a secure and stable experience.
From anti-slip plates to built-in chocks, these ramps prioritise your safety.
Using them guarantees peace of mind and control over your levelling process.
Can levelling ramps be adjusted to different heights?
Yes, levelling ramps can be adjusted to different heights. There are different types of motorhome levelling ramps available, each with its own pros and cons for different vehicles.
In conclusion, levelling ramps are essential tools for ensuring stability and balance in various situations. From levelling parked motorhomes and trailers to providing support for heavy equipment, these ramps offer numerous benefits.
With different types available, it's important to choose the right one based on your specific needs. By following effective usage tips and maintaining them properly, these ramps will continue to serve you well.
So, if you're looking for a reliable solution to achieve stability, levelling ramps are a must-have.