As anyone who owns a motorhome knows, adventuring in your home on wheels provides endless opportunities for freedom and excitement. And what better way to document this than on Instagram – the perfect social media home for all your inspirational pics. Whether you’re new to Instagram or have been ‘doing it for the ‘gram’ for years it’s always useful to learn from the best.
That’s why the team at Motorhome Protect have rounded up some of the top Instagram accounts for those who love their motorhomes as much as we do. Here you’ll find stunning imagery, jaw-dropping vantage points and inspiring stories that will have you raring to get behind the wheel of your trusty motorhome in no time!
However, before you hit the road, make sure you’ve got the best motorhome insurance to keep your vehicle and its contents covered. To keep your snap-happy adventure on track, give the team at Motorhome Protect a call today.
Instagram basics for beginners
Instagram is undoubtedly the hands-down most popular way to share images and videos on a truly mind-bogglingly vast array of topics. From travelling pets and great camp food to stunning vistas and motorhome hacks, there’s something for any age and interest. And it’s so easy to use you’ll be posting your own must-see additions in no time!
Instagram is so versatile that you can use it on just about any internet-enabled device. But if you want to enjoy all that Instagram has to offer then here’s a quick eight step guide to what you need to do first.
- Download the Instagram app onto your mobile phone from either the App Store for iOS phones or Google Play for Android phones. While you can use Instagram on a desktop computer, you really won’t get the best from it without the mobile app. Your desktop is fine if you just want to look at other people’s accounts – but where’s the fun in that? The whole point is to get to share your own unique content with a world-wide audience!
- Choose your username. During sign up you’ll be asked to choose a username. This requires some careful thought if you might use it in future as part of a travel blog or web-based business. There is an option to change your username in the future though.
- Update your bio and profile. Here you’ll have a mere 150 characters to say something about yourself. Perhaps you’re new to the motorhome world and want to bring a fresh perspective? Or you’re documenting a conversion of an interesting vehicle? It’s a good idea to let people know what they can expect if they visit your feed here. Do this right and you could open a whole world of possibilities!
- Add a profile picture. If you’re camera-shy this doesn’t need to be a picture of you. But it does need to be something recognisable that says something about your feed. How about a view from your motorhome or a quirky pic of your beloved vehicle? FYI, the perfect Instagram profile pic needs to be around 400 x 400 pixels or higher if you want it to be high quality.
- Get following. Even if you’re just using Instagram for fun to show friends and family your travels, it’s well worth spending some time looking through other people’s Instagram posts to see what’s out there. This is a fun way of getting to know the community and finding inspiration for your own feed. If you’re stuck for where to start, then see our list of brilliant accounts below!
- Post your first photo. Now for the fun part, posting your first photo. There’s really nothing to this when you get started. Just take a photo and then upload it. Have fun exploring how to crop your photos and what filters and other enhancements you can use to make your pictures look amazing!
- Use relevant hashtags when posting your content. Just as with searching for the most relevant content when you post your pics make sure to use hashtags like #motorhomeliving, #motorhomeuk, #motorhome and #motorhomelife. It’ll make your content a lot easier for other motorhome enthusiasts to find.
- Make it personal. Give your pictures a snappy caption to add some personality to your photos. And try to encourage people to comment. You never know who you’ll make a connection with.
8 inspiring Instagram accounts to follow for motorhome fans
Finding just the right Instagram feeds that suit your interests is a lot of fun. But just to get you started, and to make your Instagram experience all the better, here’s a selection of some of the best motorhome-themed accounts to follow.
- Caravan and Motorhome Club (@canmclub)
With nearly one million members the Caravan and Motorhome Club is one of the best clubs for motorhome owners in the UK. With a wealth of knowledge and expertise the club is a vital resource for all owners. And with over 22,000 followers on Instagram there’s plenty here to keep you interested. From members’ photos and the club magazine to tips, hacks and advice for newbies this is a great place to start.
- The Camping and Caravanning Club (@campandcaravan)
Another extremely popular club with an Instagram presence that you’re probably already a member of. This not-for-profit organisation is perfect for lovers of the great outdoors. There are some invaluable videos on here including camping tips for Scotland and must-visit walking destinations and how to choose your next motorhome.
- Wandering Bird Adventures (@wanderingbird.adventures)
Kat is the multi-talented creator of the brilliant Wandering Bird motorhome travel blog that dispenses invaluable advice for anyone looking to spend time on the road. In 2018 she quit her job to travel Europe with her husband and over-excited puppy. Since then, they’ve visited over 21 countries and travelled a phenomenal 60,000 miles. If you’re looking for advice on useful kit, van life and some of the best things on offer in Europe then take a look.
- Made on the Road Music Studio (@madeontheroaduk)
Converting your own home on wheels and starting a new business are both adventurous things to do. But what about if you do them both at the same time? Songwriter George Holliday did just that with an ex-library bus back in 2018. He built a mobile music studio into the back of the bus and the results are simply amazing. Since then, the Made on the Road team have driven their incredible creation around Europe recording artists and seeking out the best undiscovered talent on offer. Working with some of the industry’s biggest names such as Yamaha and Sony Music, these guys really are going somewhere. Keep up with their latest musical adventures on their Instagram feed.
- Slow ‘n Steady Livin (@slownsteadylivin)
Steph and Matt are the creative couple behind Slow ‘n Steady Livin who enjoy living a slow life by the sea down in St Ives, Cornwall. When you’re sick of the wind and rain then look at their Instagram feed for some light inspiration and a bit of get up and go! Their beautifully converted cosy rolling home is sure to get your creative juices flowing. From Steph’s latest illustrations to Matt’s superb professional photos of van life, bright horizons are just around the corner!
- Sweet Van life (@sweetvanlife)
Whether in a motorhome or a campervan, travelling around Europe is one of the main reasons to invest in your own slice of van life. And when we’re talking about the Continent there are few more stunning countries than France to explore. So, it’s no wonder that all the photos on @sweetvanlife have such a happy and relaxed atmosphere. During the cold British winter, if you ever need reassurance that van life is the best way to enjoy life then take a look at these photos of Poppy and her artistic owner Benoît Chomard. Who doesn’t let out a sigh of pleasure at the sight of a French lavender field?
If you’re considering a trip to France, then this Instagram account is definitely for you. But don’t forget to arrange the right motorhome insurance to cover your French adventure. Even in such a beautiful location it’s far from ideal to suffer a breakdown or even worse an accident.
- Motorhome Ideas (@motorhome_ideas)
With over 130,000 followers on Instagram this is a popular account featuring high quality content. Trawling through the posts you’ll see amazing before and after shots of some truly inspiring conversions. If you’re stuck for ideas and inspiration on how to give your motorhome a fresh look then this is the place to come.
If you dream of creating your very own self-restoration, then motorhome insurance from Motorhome Protect can cover your vehicle up to six months while you are making your dreams come true.
- Van Clan (@vanclans)
With over 215,000 followers, Van Clan has a loyal and growing audience of van fans. And it’s easy to see why, they serve up images of some of the very best campervans on earth. With a website and YouTube channel to match, Van Clan is a one-stop shop for all things van and travel related. If you’re looking for information on the latest gear, gadgets, and conversion ideas then it’s well worth a look.
All these Instagram accounts now have followings in the thousands. But just like you, they all started with none. If you want to build your own following of motorhome enthusiasts on Instagram, then get stuck in.
How to take perfect pictures of your motorhome
Whether you’re looking to rent or even sell your motorhome, or perhaps just want to document life on the road it’s a good idea to bear these top tips in mind when snapping shots.
Get the right angle
Try to capture some wide shots of the front and rear corner of the motorhome. Once you’ve got that basic shot right, try to get down low to the ground or up high to give a more interesting view of your home on wheels. If you’ve got a drone handy then you could take these shots to the next level!
If you want to take your Insta feed from zero to hero, then you’ll need to think about how you are composing your shots. The rule of thirds is well worth looking into. And if you see a shot that you love on someone else’s feed then ask yourself why it works and see if you can imitate it.
Don’t forget the light
A big difference between amateur snaps and professional shots is the use of lighting. Whether you’re looking to show off the exterior or interior, you’ll ideally want to use natural sunlight. And the best time to do this is in the early mornings and late afternoons at the so-called ‘Golden Hour’. This is the hour after sunrise and before sunset when the light is at its softest.
Get the most out of your locations
The whole point of investing in a motorhome is the vast array of beautiful places you’ll be able to explore in it. So, make sure you show the locations off to their best advantage. For example, if you’re motoring along the North Coast 500 in Scotland then you’ll want plenty of views of those gorgeous open skies and rugged scenery.
Protecting your vehicle with motorhome insurance
Whether or not you plan to record your next travel adventure on Instagram, don’t leave home without ensuring you’ve got the right motorhome insurance policy in place.
Our bespoke cover can include benefits such as:
- Cover for motorhomes valued up to £150,000
- Enhanced cover for camping personal effects up to £3,000
- Unlimited mileage cover
Our policies can also protect your motorhome contents from theft while you’re out and about. So, if you’re taking laptops or cameras on your next trip, make sure they’re covered, too.
Call Motorhome Protect and get a quick quote for motorhome insurance today.
Policy benefits and features offered may very between insurance schemes or cover selected and are subject to underwriting criteria. Information contained within this article is accurate at the time of publishing but may be subject to change.